In 2019 the Infrastructure Health and Safety Association (IHSA), in partnership with Ontario’s Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD), organized a group of industry experts that met for two days to determine the root causes of driver fatigue in Ontario’s trucking sector. During this 2-day workshop the group of industry experts established a top 10 list of driver fatigue causes.
Check out this great article posted on the Canadian Occupational Safety website which focuses on how through this initiative the following systemic causal factors were identified:
- Classify truck driving as a skilled trade (Red Seal)
- Review and address critical training gaps in mandatory entry-level training (MELT)
- Make graduated licensing for all truck drivers mandatory
- Increase enforcement of non-compliant carriers
- Promote mental health and wellness among professional truck drivers
Read the full article to learn more about why the trucking industry should focus immediately on addressing these five key factors.